What are the Best Fat Burning Foods for Burning Body Fat?
Sounds Like a Diet Gimmick, Some Purportedly Fat Burning Foods Actually have Some Science Behind their Claims.
Plus a Simple 3-Step Formula for a Real Fat Burning Meal.
What is your definition of a “fat burning food” ?
Fat Burning Food Definition
When you say “fat burning food” or “foods that burn fat,” many people instantly think of exotic herbs, hot spices or foods like cayenne, chili pepper, mustard, cider vinegar, guarana, green tea, etc., which allegedly increase your metabolic rate.
It sounds like a diet gimmick, so you are justified in being skeptical, but believe it or not, some of these purported fat burning foods actually have some science behind the claims.
For example, there is a slight thermogenic effect from capsaicin in hot peppers.
A Well-controlled research has also proven that a compound in green tea called epigallo-catechin gallate (EGCG) gives a small but significant increase in 24 hour metabolic rate.
Did you know that it would take 3-4 strong cups of green tea to get the necessary amount, 270-300 mg of EGCG, or you can also get it from some green tea extract supplements.
(Little known tip: Look for Japanese Sencha – it is reputed to have the highest concentration of EGCG).
However, there is a catch.
The Fat Burning Thermogenic Effects of Food
The fat burning (thermogenic) effect of these foods is real, but very small.
A study published in the European Journal of clinical Nutrition found that a dose of hot pepper (in an amount that could be tolerated), only increased metabolism by 21 calories.
Green tea extract fared a little better, but not much.
Research from Switzerland found an average 24 hour increase in metabolism of only 79 calories.
That is not much.
In fact, it is controversial whether this short term (24 hour) increase in metabolism will have any impact on actual fat loss over time.
But if you really like Green tea, it is extremely healthy, and I do recommend it as a beverage.
And, if you like hot peppers and hot spicy foods (I do), by all means enjoy them – they can be quite nutritious – and they may give a tiny boost to your metabolism.
Just do not expect any fat loss miracles.
What WILL help you burn fat is a diet consisting of nutrient-dense, natural foods and putting together your meals to maximize satiety, while also choosing some of the foods that have a lower caloric density and a higher thermic effect of digestion.
Let me explain,
Dietary Thermogenesis and the Fat Burning (Thermic Effect) Of Food
In reality, ALL foods are “thermogenic” because the body must use energy to digest them.
This is known as the “thermic effect of food” (TEF) or “specific dynamic action of food.”
However, not all foods have the same thermic effect.
Did you know that dietary fat has the lowest thermic effect.
The most thermogenic food (my “favorite”) is lean protein from solid foods, especially the following:
- chicken breast
- turkey breast
- game meats
- bison, buffalo
- very lean red meat such as top round and lean sirloin (grass fed is especially nutritious)
- almost all types of fish
- shellfish and other seafood
- egg whites (whole eggs in moderation)
Some Research has proven that the thermic effect of protein is the highest of all the macronutrients, requiring about 30% of the calories it contains, just for digestion and processing.
Now That’s Fat Burning Food!
An added bonus is that lean protein foods suppress your appetite!
This is one of the reasons that a bodybuilder’s diet calls for a lean protein food at every meal and it is no coincidence that bodybuilders are the leanest muscular athletes on earth.
My entire fat loss program is based on these bodybuilding diet methods (although my diet is not just for bodybuilders).
When you combine thermogenic lean protein foods with the right amounts and types of essential fats, add in plenty of green vegetables and just the right amount of natural starchy carbs and 100% whole grains, your body will literally turn into a turbo-charged fat burning machine – without drugs, supplements or weird diet gimmicks.
A Simple 3-Step Formula for a Real Fat Burning Meal.
- Select a green vegetable or fibrous vegetable such as asparagus, green beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, salad vegetables, etc., and then
- Combine that with one of the lean proteins (previously mentioned above).
- The lean protein and fibrous carb forms the foundation of your fat burning meal.From there, add natural starchy carbs or grains such as brown rice, oats, or sweet potatoes – in the amount your calorie needs dictate and to the degree your body can tolerate them (some people are carb-sensitive).Fruit is also ok, but focus even more on the green and fibrous vegetables.
More Related Articles
- The C.A.M. Report » Blog Archive » Effect of guarana on mental performance and fatigue
- Best fat burning & Supplements
- The Way to Healthy Eating | SecretFatBurningDiets.com
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Hump De Bump « M U S I K – S T A R Downloads Music Videos CDs MP3
- Let Green Tea Extract Keep You Healthy | Health Products
- Health life blog » Blog Archive » Fat Burning Food – Health & Fitness How To Burn Fat
- Growing Habanero Peppers: A Great Source of Pepper Capsaicin | Grow Hot Peppers
- Environmental Enforcement» Blog Archive » N-R-G Natures Raw Guarana Tea gives a natural boost
- 15 Fat Burning Foods- Burn Fat the Easy Way | Weight Loss Tips and Tricks
- RAWTHENTIX | A global collection of art, music, style, & street culture news. » PROMETHEUS SPRINGSManhattan Based Organic Beverages Debut
- April Fool Masquerade ball with NOWTHEN live at Guarana, Ibiza | Ibiza Blog
- Thermogenesis and How it Affects Weight Loss | FITLODE
- Bigelow Organic Green Tea, 40-Count Boxes | Shop Online For Coffee, Tea & Cocoa : Best Products and Cheap Price
- A List of Fat Burning Foods – 7 Foods That Burn Fat Fast | Burning Foods Info
- Custom Diet Plans | Best Fat Loss & Fitness
- Acai Berry Research | Weight Loss Remedy In Kitchen Cupboard
- The Apple Cider Vinegar Flu Remedy: Bitter, Then Better » 9DOWNSOFT Free Download Software
- Slow Down and Live Longer « Kamal’s Yoga Perspectives
- whitmorebayslsc.co.uk –
- The Secret Behind the Achievement of Fat Loss For Idiots Plan : Which Diets Work?
One Response to “What are the Best Fat Burning Foods for Burning Body Fat?”
Leave a Reply
November 4, 2010 at 4:24 am
Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!